BrewMonks

Being a blog for the exploration of 'fine things' by those who enjoy them. Reviews of microbrews, homebrews and recipes, wines, cigars, pipes and tobaccos. Apologetics for the celebration of Creation and the Creator.

Sunday, November 26, 2006

Honey Ginger IPA

Jefe and I bottled the Honey Ginger IPA tonight.

I got the idea from Randy Mosher's "Radical Brewing", a must for any homebrewer. He has it listed under his Holiday Brews. I took the liberty of of not using his standard IPA recipe (insert apology to Randy HERE), but instead using the one from Clone Brews by the Szamatulskis that is a clone of Sierra Nevada's Pale Ale (of which the original is in my personal Top 10... HopHeads Unite! Insert thanks to Szamatulskis HERE). The only difference there was that I did not dry hop (though, now I'm thinking I should have) to get the hoppy bite and pure flavor in the final beer.

I've been sipping on the non-carbonated version since we bottled and I have to say, despite the fact that I am not a big ginger fan (I actually used this recipe to be a gift for my wife and Jefe who are big ginger fans), I'm really liking it. Even uncarbonated, there's enough ginger *snap* to give it the zing it needs to feel good in the mouth with no gas. Unfortunately, there's not a lot of honey notes and that makes me bummed. I was really hoping for a sweeter beer we could share with friends and family as gifts, but alas, the dream goes on. Next time, maybe less ginger, and a stronger clover flavored honey.

Basically, here's the recipe:

Mosher's Honey Ginger IPA Base idea (IPA recipe plus 2 pounds of honey and 4 oz of candied ginger. I got both at Whole Foods.)
Clone Brew's Sierra Nevada Pale Ale recipe (minus dry hopping)
Primary fermentation for 8 days until most activity slowed
Racked to secondary, added honey and ginger and let set for another 2 weeks.
Added 3/4cup priming sugar, will let sit for 2 weeks for carbonation.

I'll post in a few weeks and let you know how it turns out.

Interested in trading homebrews? Email me and let the adventure begin!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home